Subject: Re: Performance issue: initial git clone causes massive repack

From: Nicolas Sebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 00:59:54 +0200

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 02:28:35PM -0700, [email-masked] wrote:

> guys, back off a little on telling the gentoo people to change.

Don't blame Git people, please. I currently am the only one here to
discuss that way and see a painful work coming at Gentoo.
Git people didn't discuss around thoses issues.

>                                                                 the 
> kernel developers don't split th kernel into 'core' 'drivers' etc pieces 
> just because some people only work on one area.

And you might notice that they don't provide a CVS access and actually
don't work around an unique shared repo. Also, you might notice that
keeping the history clean to assure the work on the kernel easier is not
an elementary issue.

> just because some people only work on one area. I see the gentoo desire 
> to keep things in one repo as being something very similar.

That's why I think the gentoo desire is not very clean (don't be
affected). What I see is that in one hand you want a DSCM and on the
other hand you want to keep a central shared repo.

> the problem here is a real one, if you have a large repo, git send-pack  
> will always generate a new pack, even if it doesn't need to (with the  
> extreme case being the the repo is fully packed)

What about the rsync solution given in this thread?

-- 
Nicolas Sebrecht