Subject: Re: Why Git is so fast

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:28:04 +0200

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Michael Witten wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 07:17, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I hope that JGit developers can
> > tell us whether using higher level language affects performance, how
> > much, and what features of higher-level language are causing decrease
> > in performance.
> 
> Java is definitely higher than C, but you can do some pretty low-level
> operations on bits and bytes and the like, not to mention the presence
> of a JIT.
> 
> My point: I don't think that Java can tell us anything special in this regard.

Let's rephrase question a bit then: what low-level operation were needed
for good performance in JGit? 

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland