Subject: Re: How to move users from SEU (AS400) to Git?

From: Magnus Bäck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 20:13:03 +0200

On Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 19:56 CEST,
     Jon Brisbin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On May 12, 2009, at 11:40 AM, Mike Ralphson wrote:

[...]

> > I'm not sure what Rational Developer is likely to want to do in
> > terms of getting the edited files back to the AS400 (assuming it
> > supports that directly). Are you planning to run (j)git on the AS400
> > or have another step to get the code from a central git repo back to
> > the AS400(s)?
>
> Since I work with, but am not a part of, the AS400 group, I don't have
> a copy of Rational to play with. I have used Websphere Studio before,
> though (which I think is the precursor to Rational/eclipse) and it
> used the toolbox utilities (JT400 et al) to transfer files locally,
> allow the developer to work on the file, then put them back on the
> server where they can be compiled. I would assume Rational works
> similarly. This is making me wonder whether any open source scm will
> work for this scenario. We may be tied to IBM's tools or nothing.

I hope I'm not stating the obvious here, but "Rational" is a division
within IBM, not a product. IBM Rational has two solutions for version
control, ClearCase and Team Concert. The latter does a lot more than
just version control though, and it seems to be shipped with Rational
Developer. Just to be clear, which product(s) are they considering?

[...]

-- 
Magnus Bäck
[email-masked]