Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (May 2009, #02; Sun, 17)

From: David Aguilar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 04:41:43 -0700

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 01:05:18AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> [Actively cooking]
> 
> * da/mergetool-lib (Sat May 2 01:57:21 2009 -0700) 1 commit
>  - mergetool--lib: specialize diff options for emerge and ecmerge
> 
> Can somebody tell me what the current status of this is?  I thought there
> was some objection, but I lost track...

This one was good to go.

The original reporter of the problem w/ emerge was happy with
the patch.  The specialization for ecmerge was also correct.

The objection was about having to translate the ecmerge command
name for mac os x (which the patch doesn't do).  We
settled on not doing it (meaning leave the patch alone
as-is) since it's not customary for os x users to have ecmerge
in their $PATH and thus it's up to them to configure it if
they want it.  The motivation being that we don't want to
start special-casing any platforms.

The patch for araxis was also good (after explaining that the
-title: options don't work correctly which is why the patch
didn't include it).  I can resend again later in case
it got lost.  I also share Dscho's "if it's not free then I
won't touch it" attitude, tho I'm not opposed to helping out
users on under-privileged platforms from time to time.
It seemed like Myagi(?) wasted a lot of time getting araxis
working with msysgit/mergetool so porting the patch to
mergetool--lib felt like the nice thing to do.

-- 

	David