Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (May 2009, #02; Sun, 17)

From: Johan Herland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:36:39 +0200

On Sunday 17 May 2009, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [Will merge to "master" soon]
>
> * ph/submodule-rebase (Fri Apr 24 09:06:38 2009 +1000) 1 commit 
>  + git-submodule: add support for --rebase.

Just a quick question before this ends up in 'master'. I'm sorry if this 
has already been answered:

Why only --rebase, and not also --merge?

I certainly don't have anything against "git submodule update --rebase", 
and I support its inclusion, but why not also "--merge"? While --rebase 
calls "git rebase" instead of "git checkout", --merge would call "git 
merge" instead. I believe there are useful workflows where --merge 
would be a better fit than --rebase.

Now, my question should not stop this feature from going into 'master', 
except for the fact that if we also want to support merge, we should 
rename the associated config variable:

Instead of

  submodule.<name>.rebase = true/false (false if unset)

we should have something like

  submodule.<name>.resolve = checkout/rebase/merge (checkout if unset)

Hmm?

...Johan

-- 
Johan Herland, <[email-masked]>
www.herland.net