Subject: Re: can anybody explain the following to a git noob?

From: Heiko Voigt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 13:10:59 +0200

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 08:21:09PM +1200, Tim Uckun wrote:
> > I don't think any
> > version control system I know of likes having your initial import be of a
> > directory with other working directories for the same system as
> > subdirectories. (That is, Mercurial will be fine having git working
> > directories in the import, but git won't, and Mercurial wouldn't be happy
> > about having Mercurial working directories as subdirectories).
> >
> 
> I now realize that.  I did however did the same thing again but first
> deleted all the .git directories before doing a git init.  The end
> result didn't change.

Note that a second git init does not delete the previous database. So if
you want to start from scratch you need to delete the main .git folder.

As already mentioned a script recreating your setup from public sources
would really be a big help to find out were git does not do what you are
expecting.

cheers Heiko