Subject: Re: [PATCH] refuse to merge during a merge

From: Clemens Buchacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 10:37:21 +0200

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 05:12:40PM +0100, John Tapsell wrote:
> > +       if (read_cache_unmerged() || file_exists(git_path("MERGE_HEAD")))
> >                die("You are in the middle of a conflicted merge.");
> 
> Could the error message also give possible solutions?   "Commit the
> current merge first with 'git commit', or discard the current merge
> attempt with 'git reset --hard'" or something.  Or at least a pointer
> to where to read for more info.

How about this.

fatal: You are in the middle of a [conflicted] merge. To complete the merge
[resolve conflicts and] commit the changes. To abort, use "git reset HEAD".

The part about resolving changes is only displayed if there are unmerged
entries. I intentionally left out --hard, because it potentially removes
changes unrelated to the merge (if the work tree was dirty prior to the
merge). The user will find out how to reset the work tree by reading the
docs.

Clemens