Subject: A usage question

From: Jeremy O'Brien <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 23:34:31 -0400

Hello,

I have a git usage question. I'm working on three separate branches in a
foreign SCM called Surround. One branch is the mainline, and two others
are a v1 branch based off the mainline and the other is a v2 branch
based off the mainline with many new features that we hope to release
soon. Some components of the v1 branch are similar, but not identical to
the v2 branch, and other parts are completely different. I am primarily
working on the v2 branch, but some things that I change can/should be
backported to the v1 and mainline branches.

The foreign SCM requires one working directory for each branch, so I
currently have three separate git repos with the contents of what is on
Surround for each, and then I have one "local" git repo that I'm using
to do my development. I have three branches on this local repo: one to
track each git repo set up for Surround. I've been using topic branches
in my local dev repo to do my work, and then merging my changes into the
branch I branched my topic branch from, and cherry-picking ones into the
other two branches that could be used there. I then push these branches
to the repos and check then into Surround when I am ready to. This
doesn't seem efficient to me at all, and I was wondering if there is a
better setup someone could suggest that would make development easier.
Sorry for the huge message.

Thanks for any suggestions.