Subject: Re: Using git for code deployment on webservers?

From: Ingo Oeser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 19:23:07 +0200

Hi Daniel,

On Tuesday 16 June 2009, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> You should be able to have the slave repositories store tags for tree 
> objects (instead of commit objects), and have the webservers fetch those. 
> You'll still have the object database, but it will only contain stuff 
> that's been deployed to that webserver, not intermediate versions or 
> historical versions.

Ah, that sound like a great solution. I'll try that.

> You'll still have to store both the repo and the checked out data 
> (but git stores the content delta-compressed against each 
> other in one big file, normally, so there really aren't files to hard link 
> to.

Ok. That was under the assumption, that the core of git is basically a 
content addressable file system. But that seems to be history :-)

> Of course, the other possibility is to check out versions on the slaves, 
> and rsync that to the webservers, which is probably the optimal method if 
> you're not in a situation where you benefit from anything git does in 
> transit.

I would benefit from noticing local changes. But simple rsync is what is tried now.
Problem is, we get no de-duplication from rsync, which git could do.

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Best Regards 

Ingo Oeser