Subject: git-svn with the asterisk svn repository

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:55:00 +0300

Hi

It took me quite a while to figure out how to use git-svn with the
repositories of the Asterisk project (now: http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/
). They have an extensive usage of svn:externals , which is changed from
branch to branch (mostly: "tagged" on a release tag) and thus using
submodules didn't seem useful.

Here are some notes of my workarounds.

Generally I tried to keep my the branches clean of unnecessary changes.
They need to build correctly without any need for extra changes. And for
the sake of clarity: even the gitignore file shouldn't be part of a
change. I want to be able to checkout a branch and just use it. Which
means that the gitignore file had to be on the gitignore file as well
and not checked in.

BTW: I also included a simple script to update the git tags from the SVN
"tags/*" branches (any such branch that matches a specific pattern and
for which a tag doesn't exist).

I also worked around the need of the svn:externals . Most of them were
for a common part of the build system called menuselect. I reimplemented
it in a single perl script and a very simple makefile (which are easy to
copy around). One or two other svn:exterernals don't seen to change
much, and I just used symlinks instead.

Simple documentation and scripts are available at
http://git.tzafrir.org.il/?p=asterisk-tools.git;a=tree

(Please CC replies if you actually want me to read them, as I almost
don't read this list)

P.S.: Anybody had luck with git-svn and HTTPS certificates 
authentication recently? I never tried to use git-svn to commit
anything.

-- 
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:[email-masked]
+972-50-7952406           mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.xorcom.com  iax:[email-masked]/tzafrir