Subject: Re: [RFC] Git User's Survey 2009 - trial run

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:00:47 +0200

On Fri, 26 June 2009, Graham Perks wrote:

> Some comments on the survey:
> 
> Q14. I got confused on. "How do you fetch from <an> upstream  
> repository?"
> 
> Firstly, the word "an" is missing from the question.

Actually originally it was only "How do you fetch from upstream?", 
and it should be "How do you fetch from upstream repositories?".
One can follow more than one git repository.

> Secondly, the first two options are "git protocol" and "ssh". We use  
> git:// over ssh. So I don't know how to answer this.

"git protocol" was meant to be about connecting to git-daemon 
(anonymous, unauthenticated, port 9418), i.e. using URL like
"git://git.example.com/repo.git" for fetch/clone.

"ssh" was meant to be about running git-upload-pack via SSH, 
which means connecting to sshd/ssh daemon (authenticated, 
usually port 22).  This means URL like "ssh://example.com/srv/git/repo.git"
or "[email-masked]:/srv/git/repo.git" (or ssh+git:// or git+ssh://).
Tunneling connection to git-daemon over SSH is not "ssh" in this
sense.

I'll try to explain this in 'footnotes' for this question, and use
example URLs to make it more clear how should one answer this question.

> 
> Q15, How do you publish?
>
> We sometimes use git format-patch and email out. Since we're on  
> Exchange, we can't use git am to pull directly from the email. We have  
> to save the patch files and "git am < 0001.change.patch". I don't see  
> an option that separates this usage out from how git am was  
> (seemingly) designed to work, directly against the mail server.

If you use git-format-patch (or equivalent) and send patches via email,
you should tick 'git format-patch + email' answer. It does not matter
how it is applied on the other side; only what you as sender do is
important.

I''l try to come with some explanation about this.

Thank you very much for your help in improving this survey!
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland