Subject: Re: [RFC] Git User's Survey 2009 - trial run

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 01:21:44 +0200

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Jakub Narebski<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 June 2009, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>> 2009/6/25 Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>:

[...]
>>  +8. How did/do you obtain Git?
>>
>> It is IMHO more interesting how people upgrade Git, than just how
>> they installed it.
> 
> Sure, but it can be assumed from how it was installed:
>  * Some kind of package management (automatically updated)
>  * In other binary form (manually)
>  * From a source tarball (manually)
>  * From git.git repository (manually)

Hmmm... I'd have to think about it a bit.  On one hand side original 
version has the advantage of being similar to questions in previous
surveys, making comparison easier.  On the other hand side it is more
interesting to ask about how people update git.

BTW. you list does not include my example: I download src.rpm and
rebuild (recompile) it, then install created packages.  So it is from
source form, but compiled and installed automatically.

>>> Also, I would like to see a list of areas users would like improvements:
>>> XX. In you opinion, which areas need improvement?
>>>  * user-interface
>>>  * documentation
>>>  * performance
>>>  * more features
>>>  * other
>>>
>>> Is there a way for users to assign points? eg. user-interface: 2,
>>> documentation: 1, more features: 1
>>
>> We can always use 'matrix' form, with columns corresponding to importance
>> of a given area for improvement (1-3, or 1-5 numeric range).  Because
>> asking user to order from most important to least important (one can
>> enforce this on Survs.com by requiring only one answer with given column
>> selected) would be too difficult and confusing.
> 
> I see, in that case I think a matrix form would do.

I would replace then question "21. How does Git compare to other SCM
tools you have used?" which is not good question, especially now that
we don't have the whole "Other SCMs" section with this one to keep
within self-imposed 30 questions limit.

Thanks again for taking your time to review and test 
"Git User's Survey 2009"!

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland