Subject: Re: Team Coherence to Git conversion

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:41:28 -0700

Graeme Geldenhuys <[email-masked]> wrote:
> We have a couple (actually around 20) projects sitting in Team
> Coherence repositories. Luckily they have very little history. Before
> I joined the company nobody used revision control software - just
> simple zip archives once a week (if that many).
>
> Does anybody know of a tool that can convert a TC repository to
> Git? TC seems to be dying a slow dead, and I don't want our code
> to get trapped in proprietary software we can't access, a few years
> down the line.

Huh.  TC reminds me of PVCS Version Manager.  Lots of hype on
the web page, but a tool from the early 1980s that still can't
do anything useful.  Hell, it might be a rebranded PVCS VM.

No, there aren't any existing import tools from TC, in fact probably
nobody here has even heard of TC before.  You are on your own to
write an import tool.

You might want to look at using git-fast-import to handle the git
side of the conversion, but you'll need to write your own script
to mine the data out of TC and format it for git-fast-import.
Look at contrib/fast-import for some examples, and the fast-import
man page is rather extensive.

-- 
Shawn.