Subject: Re: [RFC] Git User's Survey 2009 - second trial run, and question about announcing it

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 19:53:06 +0200

On Sun, 5 July 2009, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Jakub Narebski<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 July 2009, Felipe Contreras wrote:
[...]
>>> I'm not sure what you mean. I think the best place to announce these
>>> kinds of things is through a post in an official blog.
>>
>> The problem is that there isn't "official blog" for Git.  There is
>> gitster's (Junio C Hamano, git maintainer) blog at
>>  http://gitster.livejournal.com/
>> there is yours 'A git blog looking to be official' at
>>  http://gitlog.wordpress.com/
> 
> I guess Junio's blog is the most official one ATM, but I'll post it
> on mine too. 

I'll take you on that when announcing start of "Git User's Survey 2009".

[...]
>> What other places to ask to put note about this survey?  For past
>> surveys I was sending announcement to mailing list of projects using
>> git (http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitProjects)... well, at least those
>> which didn't require subscribing to mailing list before postiting on
>> it (and even that for some cases can be worked around by sending
>> announcement via GMane).  But with number of projects using git so
>> large nowadays I don't think it is good approach...
> 
> I would recommend against posting on client projects; IMHO that's
> a bit spammy. 

I think that this year I would leave project's mailing list alone

> How about contacting big hosting sites; sourceforge, github,
> gitorious, etc. ? 

Last year I contacted Petr Baudis about putting announcement on 
repo.or.cz, IIRC J.H. 'Warthog9' about git.kernel.org, and appropriate
admins for GitHub and Gitorious.  Last year Sourceforge didn't have,
I think, support for git; do you know who to contact about putting
announcement there?  I tried also to contact Assembla and Unfuddle,
without success.

I can try again to contact LWN.net; what other places we can put
announcement?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland