Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v2 2/3] Introduce git-discard

From: Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 16:58:20 +0200

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 06:24:35PM +0200, Thomas Rast wrote:
> +*WARNING:* All unstaged changes to the 'paths' are *irreversibly*
> +lost.

FWIW, as git checkout -- <path> is already doing that, and that
git-discard is clearly something meant as some UI sugar, I would make
that operation a "safe" porcelain by puting the discarded hunks in a
stash.

I'm shamelessly stealing this idea from Jeff, but it's probably an
excellent idea to have a strash¹. It makes git even safer to use,
especially to beginners, to whom we would talk about git-discard instead
of git checkout.

¹: stash-trash
-- 
Intersec <http://www.intersec.com>
Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
Tél : +33 (0)1 5570 3346
Mob : +33 (0)6 1636 8131
Fax : +33 (0)1 5570 3332
37 Rue Pierre Lhomme
92400 Courbevoie