Subject: Making git push output quieter

From: Albert Astals Cid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 23:27:10 +0200

Hi, at KDE we are starting to try to use git and one of the things that's 
bothering me is that git push is too verbose for our scripts.

We have some scripts that commit things and i get the diff of previous runs,  
if there is no diff it means all worked fine, a diff means something i have to 
look at.

Now i'm getting diffs like

-Counting objects: 23, done.
+Counting objects: 53, done.
 Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
-Compressing objects:   8% (1/12)   Compressing objects:  16% (2/12)   
Compressing objects:  25% (3/12)   Compressing objects:  33% (4/12)   
Compressing objects:  41% (5/12)   Compressing objects:  50% (6/12)   
Compressing objects:  58% (7/12)   Compressing objects:  66% (8/12)   
Compressing objects:  75% (9/12)   Compressing objects:  83% (10/12)   
Compressing objects:  91% (11/12)   Compressing objects: 100% (12/12)   
Compressing objects: 100% (12/12), done.
-Writing objects:   8% (1/12)   Writing objects:  16% (2/12)   Writing 
objects:  25% (3/12)   Writing objects:  33% (4/12)   Writing objects:  41% 
(5/12)   Writing objects:  50% (6/12)   Writing objects:  58% (7/12)   Writing 
objects:  66% (8/12)   Writing objects:  75% (9/12)   Writing objects:  83% 
(10/12)   Writing objects:  91% (11/12)   Writing objects: 100% (12/12)   
Writing objects: 100% (12/12), 1.05 KiB, done.
-Total 12 (delta 11), reused 0 (delta 0)
+Compressing objects:   3% (1/29)   Compressing objects:   6% (2/29)   
Compressing objects:  10% (3/29)   Compressing objects:  13% (4/29)   
Compressing objects:  17% (5/29)   Compressing objects:  20% (6/29)   
Compressing objects:  24% (7/29)   Compressing objects:  27% (8/29)   
Compressing objects:  31% (9/29)   Compressing objects:  34% (10/29)   
Compressing objects:  37% (11/29)   Compressing objects:  41% (12/29)   
Compressing objects:  44% (13/29)   Compressing objects:  48% (14/29)   
Compressing objects:  51% (15/29)   Compressing objects:  55% (16/29)   
Compressing objects:  58% (17/29)   Compressing objects:  62% (18/29)   
Compressing objects:  65% (19/29)   Compressing objects:  68% (20/29)   
Compressing objects:  72% (21/29)   Compressing objects:  75% (22/29)   
Compressing objects:  79% (23/29)   Compressing objects:  82% (24/29)   
Compressing objects:  86% (25/29)   Compressing objects:  89% (26/29)   
Compressing objects:  93% (27/29)   Compressing objects:  96% (28/29) 
  Compressing objects: 100% (29/29)   Compressing objects: 100% (29/29), done.
+Writing objects:   3% (1/29)   Writing objects:   6% (2/29)   Writing 
objects:  10% (3/29)   Writing objects:  13% (4/29)   Writing objects:  17% 
(5/29)   Writing objects:  20% (6/29)   Writing objects:  24% (7/29)   Writing 
objects:  27% (8/29)   Writing objects:  31% (9/29)   Writing objects:  34% 
(10/29)   Writing objects:  37% (11/29)   Writing objects:  41% (12/29)   
Writing objects:  44% (13/29)   Writing objects:  48% (14/29)   Writing 
objects:  51% (15/29)   Writing objects:  55% (16/29)   Writing objects:  62% 
(18/29)   Writing objects:  65% (19/29)   Writing objects:  68% (20/29)   
Writing objects:  72% (21/29)   Writing objects:  75% (22/29)   Writing 
objects:  79% (23/29)   Writing objects:  82% (24/29)   Writing objects:  86% 
(25/29)   Writing objects:  89% (26/29)   Writing objects:  93% (27/29)   
Writing objects:  96% (28/29)   Writing objects: 100% (29/29)   Writing 
objects: 100% (29/29), 4.46 KiB, done.
+Total 29 (delta 23), reused 0 (delta 0)
 => Syncing Gitorious... [OK]
 To [email-masked]:amarok/amarok.git
-   f7863f9..f4370ae  HEAD -> master
+   1a1b30f..670cb0e  HEAD -> master

That really are not a problem and are filling my diffs for no reason. We could 
redirect to > /dev/null the git push command but then i would not see if 
anything failed.

Is it possible to make git push just output data when failing? And if not do 
you think it's a worthwhile feature i can ask for? Do you have a formal way 
for feature requests?

Thanks,
  Albert