Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] git_remote_cvs: Honor DESTDIR in the Makefile

From: Johan Herland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 03:58:30 +0200

On Sunday 16 August 2009, David Aguilar wrote:
> I'll see if we rework this so that we end up passing "" to
> --root instead of /.  I'm going to be gone for a few hours so
> probably won't be able to try it out until tonight.

Thanks a lot for your work! I will send an updated series shortly which will 
include v2 of your DESTDIR/Makefile fixes, and also the fixes you suggested 
earlier (including _lots_ of PEP8 fixes).

> Another thing to consider --
>
> Debian once submitted a bug against another Python app asking
> that we not place modules in site-packages unless we
> plan on having other applications importing those modules.
>
> The more appropriate place for them if we don't plan on that is
> $(prefix)/share/git-core/git_remote_cvs or something like that.
>
> I guess that's another thing to think about.

Yes, Debian raises a valid point. I haven't thought much about making the 
git_remote_cvs package into something that would be useful for other 
applications. (I just assumed that the Python convention was to install it 
into site-packages regardless...) For now, I'll concentrate on git-remote-
cvs, and leave it to others to figure out if anything in the git_remote_cvs 
package is useful for other programs.

Note that there's a small chicken-and-egg problem here as well: If Debian 
refuses us to install into site-packages, it will be harder for other Python 
programs to discover (and import) the git_remote_cvs package.

BTW, when we're on the subject of packaging: There are some variables in 
git_remote_cvs/setup.py where I'm not sure what the correct value should be:

- version - should this follow Git's version number, or is it independent?
- author (and author_email + url) - For now, I'm referring to the Git 
community. Should this be more specific/

Feedback welcome.

Have fun! :)

...Johan

-- 
Johan Herland, <[email-masked]>
www.herland.net