Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-instaweb: fix mod_perl detection for apache2

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:45:37 +0200

On Wed, 15 Aug 2009, Mark A Rada wrote:
> On 10-Aug-09, at 4:55 AM, Jakub Narebski wrote: 
>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Thanks.  That sounds like an ancient bug that in turn perhaps  
>>> suggests nobody uses instaweb.  Will apply to 'maint'..
>>
>> Hmmm... taking a peek at current "Git User's Survey 2009" results
>> http://www.survs.com/shareResults?survey=2PIMZGU0&rndm=678J66QRA2
>>
>> 11. What Git interfaces, implementations, frontends and tools do you
>>    use?
>>
>>    git-instaweb  	3%  	77 / 2712
>>
>> 16. How often do you use the following forms of git commands or extra
>>    git tools?
>>
>>    git instaweb
>>      never:     1983 - 79%
>>      rarely:     208 -  8%
>>      sometimes:   50 -  2% 	
>>      often:        9 -  0% 	
>>
>>    Total respondents  	 2506
>>
>
> Does this means it may be taken off the menu in the not too distant  
> future or deprecated?

I don't think so.  We keep git-relink, which almost nobody uses, and
few know what it does.

I guess that git-instaweb is not advertised enough, but that might 
change, as Scott Chacon in "Pro Git" mentions / covers git-instaweb.

P.S. I'd like to create GIT::Web, which would use (contrary to gitweb)
many CPAN modules (and PAR to help installing it with dependencies),
which would use HTTP::Engine (and therefore run as CGI, FastCGI, 
mod_perl and standalone HTTP::Server::Simple), and be similar in 
structure to SVN::Web.  With it using HTTP::Server::Simple git-instaweb 
would be needed less...  But it is in "Duke Nuke Forever" (or 
packv4 ;-) future...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland