Subject: Re: hitting home directory's parent

From: Daniel Convissor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 01:12:44 -0400

Hi Jeff:

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 02:16:07PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> 
> Without looking, I would not be surprised if it is a side effect of
> git trying to look up help-related config.

That explains what's happening.  cmd_help() calls git_config().  Though 
it seems it would be more, uh, helpful, if help produced basic usage 
output no matter what, and then produce the more detailed config based 
output if possible.

> Probably it is calling "setup_git_directory_gently" and ignoring an
> error return, but there is a die() inside that function. The bug
> then is that the _gently form is calling die().

Yep.  setup.c, lines 391 and 392 (master branch):
		if (chdir(".."))
			die_errno("Cannot change to '%s/..'", cwd);

> As for fixing the setup code, I am sadly way behind on my git queue and
> not likely to catch up to this anytime soon. So if anybody feels like
> taking a stab at it, that would be very welcome.

Is there a bug tracker y'all use where I can enter a ticket?

Thanks,

--Dan

-- 
 T H E   A N A L Y S I S   A N D   S O L U T I O N S   C O M P A N Y
            data intensive web and database programming
                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/
 4015 7th Ave #4, Brooklyn NY 11232  v: 718-854-0335 f: 718-854-0409