Subject: finding unmerged branches

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:02:41 -0400

My situation is this: My project has a lot of remotes with
lots of branches; about 250 branches in total. I want to
figure out which of these branches to look at to consider
merging.

So, I reach for git branch -a --no-merged master; that's what
its man page says its for. But this still finds 120 branches,
and a lot of them are not things I want to look at. Many of
them are copies of some of my own branches.

What I really want is a way to find remote branches that
are not merged with any of my local branches (or any origin
branches). A slow and stupid implementation of that is in the
attached git-unmerged script, and it weeds the branch list
down to 68 branches, which are mostly really ones I might
want to look at.

So, three questions:

* Is this situation somewhat common, or an I doing something wrong?
  (Assuming that I have a good reason to want to look at remote 
  branches rather than waiting to get merge requests.)
* Is there a better way to accomplish this than a slow perl script that
  runs git branch -r --merged foreach of my branches?
* Should git have something builtin to handle this case better?

-- 
see shy jo