Subject: Re: [BUG] 'add -u' doesn't work from untracked subdir

From: Clemens Buchacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 20:45:08 +0200

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 10:28:08AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> But notice that the above is qualified with "personally".  An alternative
> would be to declare that in 1.8.0, all commands run without path argument
> will work on the whole tree and you have to give an explicit '.' when you
> want to limit their effect to the cwd.

That's fine by me.

[...]
>
> Please also see:
> 
>     Message-ID: <[email-masked]> ($gmane/127795)
> 
> think about the three questions there, and help us move the discussion
> forward.

The patch is my way of saying that I'm not just whining, but that I'm
willing to put some effort into getting this done. I am aware of the issues
you raised in the above message and I was hoping that my patch would help us
as a starting point to move the discussion forward.

> The first part of the message has some comments related to your patch, by
> the way.

I can only guess that you mean the "sane way for script writers to defeat
the configuration without much pain" part. But I'm not sure how that's a
problem. If you want the script to continue to work as before you either
configure "workdir scope", or you add a '.' to the affected commands.

Clemens