Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-rebase-interactive: avoid breaking when GREP_OPTIONS="-H"

From: Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 06:47:56 +0000

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 12:37:30PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> How does your patch help when the user has GREP_OPTIONS=-C3 in the
> environment?

It wouldn't help but at least wouldn't break aborting with an script
error since you will always get a number.

> I think a saner workaround for this user environment bug (or GNU grep
> misfeature) is to unset GREP_OPTIONS at the beginning of the script, or
> even in git-sh-setup.

agree, and since grep is used almost everywhere filtering in git-sh-setup
like CDPATH is makes sense, with the only user of grep that wouldn't
benefit from that being git-mergetool--lib.sh AFAIK.

will test and submit a fix for that later, but still think the original
patch at least improves the status quo (will protect also when using
custom grep wrappers as reported earlier) and doesn't do any harm as wc
is already a dependency as well and was part of the original code as well.

Carlo