Subject: Re: obnoxious CLI complaints

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:23:29 +0200

Dnia czwartek 10. września 2009 21:46, John Tapsell napisał:
> 2009/9/10 Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>:

> > First, it would be consistent with how ordinary archivers such as tar
> > or zip are used, where you have to specify list of files to archive
> > (in our case this list is HEAD).  Second, I'd rather not accidentally
> > dump binary to terminal: "git archive [HEAD]" dumps archive to standard
> > output.
> 
> That could be fixed by outputting to a file.  git format-patch outputs
> to a file, so why wouldn't git achieve?

"git format-patch" outputs to files because it generates _multiple_
files; generating single patch is special case.  Also git-format-patch
can generate file names from patch (commit) subject; it is not the case
for "git archive" (what name should it use?).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland