Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-gui: suggest gc only when counting at least 2 objects

From: Clemens Buchacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:19:25 +0200

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 04:44:33PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 08:41:50PM +0200, Clemens Buchacher wrote:
> 
> > On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:58:45AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > > Somebody cares to explain why this threashold number has to be different
> > > per platform in the first place? 
> > 
> > I really don't know. I vaguely remember someone claim that performance on
> > Windows suffered from many loose objects more than on other platforms. I
> > can't find any discussion of it though.
> 
> Maybe 8ff487c?

Ok. But it's been 2 years since then and if I'm not mistaken, there have
been a number of performance improvements to msysgit. So maybe it's time to
revisit that threshold.

If, on the other hand, requiring 2 objects really is too many, we should
maybe check at least two or four directories, which would greatly improve
the statistic.

For example, the probability of q directories containing q objects, for n
objects total is

n \ q	1	4
50	18%	1%
100	32%	7%
200	54%	38%
500	86%	95%

Clemens