Subject: Re: [PATCH JGit 4/5] Adding in a InfoDatabase like ObjectDatabase and and implementation based upon a directory.

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:05:54 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> From: Mike Gaffney <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [PATCH JGit 4/5] Adding in a InfoDatabase like ObjectDatabase
> and and implementation based upon a directory.

Typo on "and and".

We should have a bit more justification for this change, the subject
sounds aggressive, but there's no rationle for 175 insertions.
You and I both can make a reaosnable guess about why, but not
everyone knows the code or what you are trying to accomplish.

> diff --git a/org.spearce.jgit/src/org/spearce/jgit/lib/InfoDatabase.java b/org.spearce.jgit/src/org/spearce/jgit/lib/InfoDatabase.java
> +public abstract class InfoDatabase {
> +
> +	public void create() {
> +	}

New public code should have Javadoc to document its purpose and
usage, especially for an abstract class that needs to be implemented.

But, that said, I think this direction is of dubious value.  What we
really care about is having the contents of the current RefDatabase
(that is, packed-refs and files under refs/) written into info/refs.

There really isn't anything else of value under GIT_DIR/info, other
than GIT_DIR/info/exclude, but that is related to ignore processing
for a repository with a working directory and isn't something that
a bare repository on a server ever cares about.

IMHO, updating GIT_DIR/info/refs should be part of RefDatabase,
not some new InfoDirectoryDatabase class.

-- 
Shawn.