Subject: Re: sp/smart-http topic

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:47:26 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> * sp/smart-http (2009-10-14) 17 commits
>  - Smart fetch over HTTP: client side
...
> What's the doneness of this series?

Not done yet.  I want to respin once more before it hits next.

I've picked up a number of test related changes from Clemens
Buchacher and Tay Ray Chuan, plus some suggestions from the latter
were fixed up in the WebDAV code.

John "warthog9" Hawley and I were spending some time yesterday to
try to figure out why smart HTTP serving off kernel.org was giving
me only 300 KiB/sec during clone, but git-daemon was giving me 12
MiB/sec for the same server and repository.

Peff noticed the TCP windows for smart HTTP were ~16 KiB in size,
but with git-daemon were ~200 KiB on size.  John and I are pretty
sure this is the throughput problem, but we haven't found why the
window is so much smaller under smart HTTP.

We also need proper tests for smart HTTP.  I haven't had time to
write tests yet, and the ones that were proposed for t5540-http-push
aren't suitable because you have to run the test suite twice in
order to test both WebDAV and smart HTTP push for the same build.

-- 
Shawn.