Subject: Re: [PATCH] mergetool--lib: add p4merge as a pre-configured mergetool option

From: Charles Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:12:34 +0000

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 02:39:32PM -0700, Scott Chacon wrote:
> p4merge is now a built-in diff/merge tool.
> This adds p4merge to git-completion and updates
> the documentation to mention p4merge.
> 
> Signed-Off-By: Scott Chacon <[email-masked]>
> ---
> 
> This is the same patch, but I tested it on Linux as well as Mac and it
> works fine as long as the [difftool|mergetool].p4merge.path configs
> are set or it's in your path.

I've examined the two patches and I feel more comfortable with
Scott's, mainly due to it's simplicity.

I'm not sure I understand why only p4merge on Mac OS X is special, we
don't seem to treat any other mergetool specially and we don't seem to
need absolute paths anywhere else.

If it's a Mac OS X only thing, can we (and should we) avoid special
treatment for p4merge on other platforms?

The only other question I have is what are the merits of using
/dev/null as the base vs. a second copy of the local version in the
baseless merge case? It's the only other difference between the two
p4merge patches that I noticed.

Perhaps we could consider having both p4merge and launchp4merge as
separate options?

-- 
Charles Bailey
http://ccgi.hashpling.plus.com/blog/