Subject: Re: [PATCH] mergetool--lib: add p4merge as a pre-configured mergetool option

From: Markus Heidelberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 02:02:01 +0100

Jay Soffian, 30.10.2009:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Charles Bailey <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understand why only p4merge on Mac OS X is special, we
> > don't seem to treat any other mergetool specially and we don't seem to
> > need absolute paths anywhere else.
> 
> On other platforms, the merge tool is very likely to be in your PATH.

He didn't mean p4merge on other platforms, but other merge tools on Mac
OS X. What about all the other merge tools already in mergetool--lib?
Should they get special handling, too?

> On OS X, p4merge is going to be installed as part of an application
> bundle (/Applications/p4merge.app or $HOME/Applications/p4merge.app).
> This is virtually never going to be in a user's PATH.
> 
> So in order to provide equivalent behavior for OS X as Linux (i.e., so
> that you can just specify p4merge as the mergetool without having to
> provide it's path), we need to look in these additional locations.

And for Windows we could add C:\Program Files\MergeToolX\tool.exe for
every merge tool.

But where will we end?

Markus