Subject: Re: gitk : french translation

From: Nicolas Sebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 22:41:30 +0100

The 08/11/09, Emmanuel Trillaud wrote:
> 2009/11/7 Nicolas Sebrecht <[email-masked]>:

> > [
> >  Please, conform to Documentation/SubmittingPatches of the git.git
> >  project and send your patches inline to make the work for reviewers
> >  easier.
> >
> >  Both of your patches lack the Signed-off-by but maybe you don't want
> >  them to be merged?
> > ]
> I am aware of this recommendation but this translation is almost 22kb and
> I tought that put it inline wouldn't make the review easier. I will
> submit a patch
> gathering my workand those of the reviewers soon.

Thanks, it will really help. If the patch is very long, you could split
it into more patches for the review purpose, maybe relying on the
semantic fields. Regardless you split it or not, inline patches are the
good way to contribute here.

Side note : you _must_ have the signed-off-by from Thomas if you want to
use his work.

Oh, and please, submit the new version in this thread.

> > I disagree here. Words like "diff", "commit", "patch", etc should be
> > kept as is. Translation of those terms make things harder for the users.
>
> I agree with you when those terms refers to _commands_ names, but the
> main goal of a
> translation is to _translate_ and we have to make the best effort to
> use french word if they _exist_

I don't think so. Here is _why_: the user-frienliness of a translated
software comes from "how hard is it to connect a word with the
underlying concept".

IOW, we want to have good words to refer to the _concepts_. In the
computer science world (and more _specially_ for a SCM), those concepts
are much more well-known with the english terms. Keeping english words
help users to directly understand what it is about, without making the
users have to search for "what the fucking translators are refering to
here?".

> and _are_ appropriate (that's why I'm not sure about translate
> "cherry-pick" by "ceullir").

I don't have strong opinion for this one because :
- the translation is good enough to be directly understood ;
- where "cueillir" (or so) is used, we have the fallback to the english
  term between round brackets.

> I prefer to translate "Diff this -> selected" by "Différence entre ça
> et selection"
> because it is what the user do when he make a diff.

Looks ok to me, except that "Diff" is better than "Différence" for the
reason I give above. A "diff" is clearly about a _patch_ where
"différence" may be used to much more concepts. French people don't use
the word "différence" to talk about a diff, they use "diff" as is.

> because it is what the user do when he make a diff. I am also ok to
> translate "merge" by "fusion"
> because it's what "merge" is in french and I don't this we mislead the
> user by using the term
> "fusion".

I don't have a strong opinion on this because both english and french
words are known. That said, I tend to think that the english word is
better here too.

-- 
Nicolas Sebrecht