Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitk: Add ability to define an alternate temporary directory

From: David Aguilar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:07:16 -0800

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 04:59:11PM +1300, Sam Vilain wrote:
> David Aguilar wrote:
> > gitk fails to show diffs when browsing a repository for which
> > we have read-only access.  This is due to gitk's assumption
> > that the current directory is always writable.
> >
> > This teaches gitk to honor the GITK_TMPDIR environment
> > variable.  This allows users to override the default location
> > used for writing temporary files.
> >   
> 
> Is there a good reason not to use the common TMPDIR or TMP environment
> variables for this?

I, personally, would not be opposed to that.
The only reason I chose a different variable was that I didn't
want to change the existing behavior (backwards-compat hat on).

Since TMPDIR and TMP are common then we'd be changing the
behavior.

That said, if there's a consensus that the path doesn't matter
much than we could change the behavior.  I was just trying to be
careful.

-- 
		David