Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 2/2] filter-branch: nearest-ancestor rewriting outside subdir filter

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:36:04 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> Up to this point, nothing mentions the name of the new option.  Please
> write your log for a person who needs to write the release notes by
> looking at "git shortlog" output ;-)
> 
> I am wondering if this even needs an option to trigger.  Shouldn't you
> want this behaviour always when you give any pathspec?
> 
> What are the sane reasons to leave the rewritten ref to point at the old
> commit, essentially making the rewritten history unreachable?

Fear of hysterical raisins, nothing else.  I cannot really see a
use-case of the original behaviour, and since it does not change the
behaviour in the case of an unfiltered rewrite, it should be safe to
always be enabled.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch