Subject: Re: [PATCHv2] Update gitworkflows man page to include release workflow

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:41:58 +0100

It's nice to see someone work on this manpage :-) I sadly do not have
the time to read the whole patch right now, though I'll try and catch
up tomorrow or so.  In the meantime I do have one remark:

[email-masked] wrote:
> +The maintainer may use the following release workflow:
> +
> +He first tags the tip of 'master' with a release tag, then he updates
> +the 'maint' branch to the current tip of 'master' for managing future
> +maintenance fixes on the current release, and lastly he optionally
> +rebuilds 'next' from the tip of 'master'.

The current gitworkflows is mostly formulated in the imperative, as in

  To test the interaction of several topics, merge them into a
  throw-away branch.  You must never base any work on such a branch!

or by directly describing the tools in the third person, as in

  * linkgit:git-push[1] copies your branches to a remote repository,
    usually to one that can be read by all involved parties;

It would certainly be nice to be somewhat consistent.  Since at first
glance your description is aimed at the maintainer himself, I assume
that would mostly mean addressing the maintainer as "you", and
formulating the rules in the imperative.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch