Subject: Re: ks/precompute-completion

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:06:52 -0600

Stephen Boyd wrote:
> Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>>
>>As a distro user, I don't think I would be able to use it until there
>>is a command to update the installed completion, to call after adding
>>a new git command to my $PATH.  This could mean:
[...]
> I'm confused. Shouldn't your distro take care of updating the
> completion for you? And wouldn't update-git-completion be more
> suited as part of a makefile if it was needed at all?

The problem is that I have git commands the distro did not install in
my $PATH.  For example, I currently have git-new-workdir in ~/bin, and
once I bzr-fastexport works a little better, I will install git-bzr.

Even without such commands, in many distributions the completion
should not be one size fits all, since git-svn (for example) belongs
to a different package.

I would expect the distribution to take care of populating the initial
completion list and updating it on upgrades.

Jonathan