Subject: Re: [PATCH] Expand ~ and ~user in core.excludesfile, commit.template

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:30:37 +0100

Dnia wtorek 17. listopada 2009 07:22, Junio C Hamano napisał:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

> >
> > It would be nice to have an option to git-config which would do such
> > expansion, as a separate type similar to --int and --bool, e.g.:
> >
> >   git config --path section.key
> >
> > so that not only core.excludesfile could use this new feature, but for
> > example also core.worktree, commit.template, gitcvs.logfile,
> > mailmap.file, and perhaps also *.receivepack and *.uploadpack
> 
> What should "git config -l" do for these (and core.excludesfile)?

Nothing (i.e. show unexpanded / not converted), just like for boolean
variables "git config -l" doesn't convert 1/on/yes to true, and 0/off/no
to false, just like for integer variables "git config -l" doesn't convert
to simple decimal number taking into account optional 'k', 'm' or 'g'
suffix.

BTW. the suffix part of integer conversion should really be described
in the paragraph about --int and --bool options (which should be made
into proper description list, and not a prose paragraph).

P.S. I am a bit missing --local / --repository option to git-config to
complement --global (which should probably be named --user) and --system
options.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland