Subject: Re: Make Gitweb behave like Apache mod_userdir

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:58:55 +0100

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Sylvain Rabot <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I made gitweb behave a bit like UserDir module will in apache.
> > In fact it's only configuration but I think it could be useful to others.
> 
> Thanks.  Any comment from gitweb gangs?

I would respond earlier if it was submitted with patch inline in mail
body, and not attached.  If it needs to be attached (because of MUA/MTA
linewrapping or encoding issues), it should use 8bit and not base64
content transfer encoding, have 'text/plain' and not 
'application/octet-stream' content type, and "inline" and not "attachement"
in content disposition.

It also lacks proper commit message (although email describes it quite
well) and signoff, as per Documentation/SubmittingPatches.

I like this patch.  More examples in gitweb/README are always good idea.

> > Basicly it allows users of your server who use git to be able to use

"Basically"

> > gitweb to browse their own root project. E.G. :

"For example"

> >
> > Alice's private repos :
> >
> > /home/alice/git/product_a.git (cloned from /var/git/product_a.git)
> > /home/alice/git/product_b.git (cloned from /var/git/product_b.git)
> > /home/alice/git/product_c.git (cloned from /var/git/product_c.git)
> >
> > Alice's links to her repos which she wants to be able to browse with gitweb :

"Alice links", or "Alice creates symbolic links"

> >
> > /home/alice/gitweb/product_a -> /home/alice/git/product_a.git/.git
> > /home/alice/gitweb/product_c -> /home/alice/git/product_c.git/.git
> >
> > Bare repos :
> >
> > /var/git/product_a.git
> > /var/git/product_b.git
> > /var/git/product_c.git
> > /var/git/product_d.git

The description is a bit lacking.  Where user should put theirs git
repositories, or symbolic links to git repositories?  How it would
look like in gitweb?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland