Subject: Re: [PATCH] pack-objects: split implications of --all-progress from progress activation

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:12:06 +0100

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:43:50PM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> Currently the --all-progress flag is used to use force progress display 
> during the writing object phase even if output goes to stdout which is 
> primarily the case during a push operation.  This has the unfortunate 
> side effect of forcing progress display even if stderr is not a 
> terminal.
> 
> Let's introduce the --all-progress-implied argument which has the same 
> intent except for actually forcing the activation of any progress 
> display.  With this, progress display will be automatically inhibited 
> whenever stderr is not a terminal, or full progress display will be 
> included otherwise.  This should let people use 'git push' within a cron 
> job without filling their logs with useless percentage displays.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>

Ok, but what is currently the way to force the old behaviour? I believe
that should be also part of the commit message.

Naive deduction fails:

	$ git remote update --progress
	error: unknown option `progress'

Thanks,

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
A lot of people have my books on their bookshelves.
That's the problem, they need to read them. -- Don Knuth