Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb.js: Harden setting blamed commit info in incremental blame

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 01:59:47 +0100

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Below there is request-pull with reordered series, unless you want me
> > to resend this series as a set of patches, as reply to this email.
> 
> It is too late for that, as they are already in 'next'.  I do not think it
> is necessary nor desirable, either.
> 
> With the "Create links" commit, you are _adding_ a new link that leads to
> a new feature with known breakage, not _replacing_ a link that leads to an
> existing working implementation with one that does not work for some
> people, no?

No.  The "Create links" commits make existing 'blame' links, which till that
commit always lead to non-incremental 'blame' action, now lead to new
'blame_incremental' action (if JavaScript is enabled).  So the result is
that we _replace_ links to 'blame' view by links to 'blame_incremental' view.

> Merging everything else but not merging that commit does not make any
> sense.  It won't give any wider exposure to the feature, and is no better
> than carrying the entire thing in 'next' (or 'pu') post 1.6.6.
> 
> A follow-up patch to add a gitweb configuration switch that disables the
> non-working view by default but allows site owners to enable it in order
> to help improving the feature would be a sensible thing to do.  As long as
> that patch is solidly done we can merge the whole thing to 'master' in the
> upcoming release.

But if it is already in 'next', then I'll try to come up with patch which
makes JavaScript-ing links (replacing links with JavaScript to equivalent
actions utilizing JavaScript, currently only 'blame' -> 'blame_incremental')
configurable.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland