Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] gitweb: Make linking to actions requiring JavaScript a feature

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 16:41:39 +0100

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > It might be however good *interim* solution, so people would be able
> > to test 'blame_incremental' view without having to edit gitweb links.
> 
> Exactly.  I thought you were responding to my earlier "ship it as a new
> feature with known breakage so that people can choose to enable to help
> debugging and fixing".  If flipping on the new implementation makes an
> alternative working implementation unavailable, that would be one reason
> the site owners might consider _not_ enabling it.  By making them both
> available, the result will have one less reason not to try for site
> owners.

Actually "addLinks" would be a bit harder, I guess, than current "fixLinks"
because "fixLinks" just adds ';js=1' to URL to denote that gitweb can use
JavaScript-requiring actions equivalents.  For "addLinks" selecting where
to add links would have to be in gitweb.js

I can "borrow" some code from Martin Koegler patch from April 2007
"[PATCH 5/7] gitweb: Prototyp for selecting diffs in JavaScript"
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
$gmane/44517/focus=44523.  

Would turning

  "blame"

link ito pair of links

  "blame (incremental)"

be a good solution?  I'm trying to come up with good naming for extra link
to 'blame_incremental' action...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland