Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/4] build dashless "test-bin" directory similar to installed bindir

From: Matthew Ogilvie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:23:55 -0700

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 06:32:33PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Why can't t/Makefile have a dependency on its 'default' target that goes
> up and prepares test-bin/, i.e. "cd .. && make test-bin-stuff"?

That wouldn't help with someone manually running specific tests,
which is a common way to run tests when working on git:

   hackhackhack && make && cd t && ./tXXXX-*.sh

Perhaps we could invoke make from test-lib.sh, but at that point
it starts to look more attractive to just do it the same way as the
valgrind option, even though that means duplicating the appropriate
list of executables in test-lib.sh.

Also, "make all" already builds some test suite support
binaries (test-*).  Is it really worth any effort to leave
a few short wrapper scripts out of "make all" when it is already
building several test binaries?

(See also my much longer email response that crossed this one in the
mail.)

--
Matthew Ogilvie   [[email-masked]]