Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/8] Git remote helpers to implement smart transports.

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 08:52:45 -0800

Sverre Rabbelier <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 14:57, Ilari Liusvaara
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > This series implements extensions to remote helpers for carrying smary
> > transports. It is against next, because master doesn't contain necressary
> > patches (the allow specifying remote helper in url one).
> 
> Could you please explain how this relates to Shawn's smart http series
> and the sr/vcs-helper series?

Or better, why this is even necessary?

I thought git:// over TCP is pretty simple and efficient, and fairly
widely deployed.  Smart http(s):// will be in 1.6.6 and available
soon, and isn't all that ugly.

Since the introduction of git:// nobody has asked for another
protocol... other than wanting to make http:// as efficient as
git:// is.  Which is now done.

So why do we need this?

The sr/vcs-helper series makes sense if you want to make SVN, Hg,
or P4 remotes act transparently like Git remotes.  But that's not
embedding the git:// protocol inside of another protocol, its doing a
full up conversion from a non-Git set of semantics to Git semantics.

-- 
Shawn.