Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/8] Git remote helpers to implement smart transports.

From: Ilari Liusvaara <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:47:23 +0200

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 10:07:55AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> The "modular" setup is a good thing to do, but I do not know how it
> relates to the change Ilari did. 

Removing core dependency on NO_CURL is required for that. 6/8 is one
way to do that given support for dispatching <scheme>:// to remote
helpers (1/8).

> Isn't it simply a matter of excluding
> git-remote-curl from the current set of binaries to be shipped with
> git-core.rpm and making a separate git-remote-http.rpm to contain it, or
> does it involve a lot more than that from the packager's side?

See above. There's also issues with git remote helper execution, namely
inability to properly handle failure before cap exchange.

With properly fixed main git binary, it is just matter of splitting
remote-xxx executable(s) relating to HTTP to seperate package.

-Ilari