Subject: Re: [StGit PATCH v2 0/6] add support for git send-email

From: Alex Chiang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 12:27:31 -0700

* Karl Wiberg <[email-masked]>:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:46 AM, Alex Chiang <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > The upshot is that in stg mail, --git and --mbox don't interact
> > well, and the resulting mbox file will lack the recipients. This
> > might be fixed in the future if we teach git send-email how to
> > generate mbox files, but then we introduce a versioning problem.
> 
> One wild idea: git send-email's --smtp-server flag will accept the
> (full) path of a sendmail program; writing such a program, just
> capable enough to receive the outgoing emails and dumping them to a
> file, should be easy. Another option would be a program that speaks
> just enough SMTP to accept the mails. (Incidentally, these two would
> be useful in testing stg mail even without the --git option.)
 
Hm, I think this is getting to be a bit of overkill. I could see
adding --mbox support to git send-email as being a better use of
time (IMO).

> I fully understand if you'd rather get on with scratching your actual
> itch, though ...
 
:)

> > So let's just accept this wart for now, and say, if you want an mbox
> > file generated, don't use --git. That seems reasonable to me.
> 
> Sure.

Thanks,
/ac