Subject: Re: Git GUI client SmartGit released

From: David Aguilar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 12:44:57 -0800

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 10:02:08PM +0530, Dilip M wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > As for "missing", do you refer to "paid service", or "yet another GUI"?
> 
> Ahaha! I can say "a good gui" :)
> 
> I was not knowing that this was "paid service". I saw the screenshot
> and tried it. No doubt, it has a _great_ ui interface.  While installation I
> realized that it is licensed.
> 
> - SOFTWARE Non-Commercial License,
> - SOFTWARE Commercial License,
> - SOFTWARE Enterprise License.

Aside from the other good GUIs out there, have you tried
git-cola?

http://cola.tuxfamily.org/

It's GPL and not too shabby.
The screenshots on the webpage are a bit out of date, though.
I should probably get to writing the release announcment and
updating the screenshots ;)

It probably also depends on your platform of choice.
I know some Windows users like explorer-integration, so stuff
like git-cheetah make a lot of sense for them.  I was a little
sad to see that the tortoise-git guys didn't get the joke
(who wants a tortoise when you have a cheetah?) and didn't
just work on cheetah instead, but hey, it's all good.

Another example: eclipse users like eclipse integration so for
them egit makes perfect sense.

Maybe that makes git-cola the poor man's smartgit?
If that's the case then it looks like the poor man is still
winning according to the feature matrix on the git wiki ;)
I don't know.. I haven't used smartgit, but if there are
any features that people are itching to have that git-cola
doesn't then feel free to throw it on the backlog:

http://github.com/davvid/git-cola/issues

At first glance, the gitk-like history widget in smartgit
is very nice.  I've been thinking about how to implement that in
PyQt for a while but haven't yet hammered it out.

Have fun,

-- 
		David