Subject: Re: [BUG] Bad msysgit/egit interaction over dotfiles

From: Yann Dirson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 15:37:00 +0100

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 03:23:55PM +0100, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Ferry Huberts <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On 12/08/2009 02:34 PM, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
> >> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Yann Dirson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >>> I'm not sure who's at fault here - namely, I can't see any valid
> >>> reason for eclipse to refuse such writes, but I am not sure it is a
> >>> good reason for msysgit would set the hidden bit either.  In either
> >>> case, even if only for the short term, I think msysgit should ensure
> >>> that this bit does not get set (possibly circumventing any magic msys
> >>> would do behind its back).
> >>
> >> Setting the config option "core.hidedotfiles" to "false" should
> >> prevent this from happening.

Right, it works much better this way.

> > why isn't this the default?
> >
> > I also experienced this change in behaviour and I thought we would
> > strive to keep the experience the same.
> >
> 
> You can follow the discussion here:
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=288
> 
> I believe the reason is something like "because someone suggested it,
> and no one disagreed". Do you have a good argument why it shouldn't be
> the default (other than "it's a change", because changing it back now
> would also be a change)?

Depending on the opinion of the Eclipse guys on this issue about
"writing to hidden files only says 'could not write'", which arguably
could be seen as a bug on their side, we can see changing this
behaviour back to the default on the msysgit side as either a
(possibly temporary) workaround for a known eclipse bug, or as getting
again interoperable with egit.

Note that I did not get time yet to fully investigate the eclipse
status on the issue.

Best regards,
-- 
Yann