Subject: Re: config for merging master to test branch

From: Daniel Convissor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:56:08 -0500

Hi Junio:

> Good.  That is how it was designed to be used ;-)

Thanks for the reassurance.

>     [branch "test"]
>         remote = origin
>         merge = refs/heads/master
> 
>     When on branch "test", "pull" and "fetch" by default interact with the
>     "origin" repository, and "pull" integrates what was found on the
>     'master' branch from that remote into your history.

Excellent.  Initially, I wasn't sure what the following commands did:

   git config branch.test.remote origin
   git config branch.test.merge refs/heads/master

Between further reading and your explanation I now understand it better. 
"refs/heads/master" refers items displayed by "git show-ref".

So what is "refs/remotes/origin/master", please?

Thanks,

--Dan

-- 
 T H E   A N A L Y S I S   A N D   S O L U T I O N S   C O M P A N Y
            data intensive web and database programming
                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/
 4015 7th Ave #4, Brooklyn NY 11232  v: 718-854-0335 f: 718-854-0409