Subject: Re: Git Server Authentication & Management

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 08:33:16 -0800

Pedro Lemos <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'm relatively new to Git.
> At the moment I'm trying to understand if it will be possible to:
> 
> 1 - configure a central server (server A) to host all my git repositories.
> 2 - also I would like to configure access to those Git repositories in
> order to use authentication:
>         - using LDAP;
>         - using MS Active Directory;

You might want to look at Gerrit Code Review [1].  It has
out-of-the-box support for integration with Active Directory.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/
 
> 3 - Moreover, I would like to know if is there any administration
> interface to use within git repositories?

Gerrit Code Review uses a web based administration interface, though
with an LDAP/Active Directory configuration access controls will
most likely be managed in the directory server by user membership
to groups.

> 4 - And to close this email, I need a way to manage access permissions
> over the server repositories. Such as:
>         - read-write, read-only, or no access at all;
>         - deletes-allowed, renames-allowed, tags allowed;

Yup, Gerrit Code Review can do that.

It also can be used as a code review system.  :-) But if you don't
want to use the code review features, you can just grant out the
Push Branch +1 (or +2 or +3) permission to allow pushing to a branch.

A different, but much more popular choice is gitosis [2], but that
doesn't use LDAP for user authentication and access management.
It uses its own SSH key repository.  To be fair, Gerrit Code Review
also uses its own SSH key repository... but users can manage their
keys individually through the web interface, which is authenticated
by LDAP.

[2] http://eagain.net/gitweb/?p=gitosis.git

-- 
Shawn.