Subject: [PATCH v2 0/5] Makefile: fix generation of assembler listings

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 02:02:16 -0600

Jonathan Nieder wrote:

> This adds yet another phony .FORCE-foo target.  Wouldn’t it be simpler
> to use a single target called .FORCE, or is there something I am
> missing that that would break?

I didn’t hear any screams when I suggested this about a month ago, so
let’s try it out.

Patch 1 fixes a problem I noticed when tweaking the Makefile to
automatically generate dependencies for the %.o targets.  The problem
is that the dependencies for the corresponding %.s (code listing)
targets are not included in the Makefile at all, automatically or not.
Thus the command "make var.s var.o && touch cache.h && make var.s var.o"
produces the output

CC var.s
CC var.o
CC var.o

not regenerating var.s to reflect potential changes in cache.h.

"make git.s" previously did not work at all; patches 2-3 fix that.

Jonathan Nieder (5):
  Makefile: regenerate assembler listings when asked
  Makefile: use target-specific variable to pass flags to cc
  Makefile: learn to generate listings for targets requiring special
    flags
  Makefile: consolidate .FORCE-* targets
  git-gui/Makefile: consolidate .FORCE-* targets

 Documentation/Makefile |    4 +-
 Makefile               |   56 ++++++++++++++++++++---------------------------
 git-gui/Makefile       |    7 ++---
 3 files changed, 29 insertions(+), 38 deletions(-)