Subject: [PATCH 2/5] Makefile: use target-specific variable to pass flags to cc

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 02:05:04 -0600

This allows reusing the standard %.o: %.c pattern rule even for
targets that require special flags to be set.  Thus after this
change, any changes in the command for compilation only have to
be performed in one place.

Target-specific variables have been supported in GNU make since
version 3.77, which has been available since 1998.

Cc: Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
---
 Makefile |   41 ++++++++++++++++++-----------------------
 1 files changed, 18 insertions(+), 23 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile
index ba4d071..81190a6 100644
--- a/Makefile
+++ b/Makefile
@@ -1467,20 +1467,19 @@ shell_compatibility_test: please_set_SHELL_PATH_to_a_more_modern_shell
 strip: $(PROGRAMS) git$X
 	$(STRIP) $(STRIP_OPTS) $(PROGRAMS) git$X
 
-git.o: git.c common-cmds.h GIT-CFLAGS
-	$(QUIET_CC)$(CC) -DGIT_VERSION='"$(GIT_VERSION)"' \
-		'-DGIT_HTML_PATH="$(htmldir_SQ)"' \
-		$(ALL_CFLAGS) -o $@ -c $(filter %.c,$^)
+git.o: common-cmds.h
+git.o: ALL_CFLAGS += -DGIT_VERSION='"$(GIT_VERSION)"' \
+	'-DGIT_HTML_PATH="$(htmldir_SQ)"'
 
 git$X: git.o $(BUILTIN_OBJS) $(GITLIBS)
 	$(QUIET_LINK)$(CC) $(ALL_CFLAGS) -o $@ git.o \
 		$(BUILTIN_OBJS) $(ALL_LDFLAGS) $(LIBS)
 
-builtin-help.o: builtin-help.c common-cmds.h GIT-CFLAGS
-	$(QUIET_CC)$(CC) -o $*.o -c $(ALL_CFLAGS) \
-		'-DGIT_HTML_PATH="$(htmldir_SQ)"' \
-		'-DGIT_MAN_PATH="$(mandir_SQ)"' \
-		'-DGIT_INFO_PATH="$(infodir_SQ)"' $<
+builtin-help.o: common-cmds.h
+builtin-help.o: ALL_CFLAGS += \
+	'-DGIT_HTML_PATH="$(htmldir_SQ)"' \
+	'-DGIT_MAN_PATH="$(mandir_SQ)"' \
+	'-DGIT_INFO_PATH="$(infodir_SQ)"'
 
 $(BUILT_INS): git$X
 	$(QUIET_BUILT_IN)$(RM) $@ && \
@@ -1638,25 +1637,21 @@ git.o git.spec \
 %.o: %.S
 	$(QUIET_CC)$(CC) -o $*.o -c $(ALL_CFLAGS) $<
 
-exec_cmd.o: exec_cmd.c GIT-CFLAGS
-	$(QUIET_CC)$(CC) -o $*.o -c $(ALL_CFLAGS) \
-		'-DGIT_EXEC_PATH="$(gitexecdir_SQ)"' \
-		'-DBINDIR="$(bindir_relative_SQ)"' \
-		'-DPREFIX="$(prefix_SQ)"' \
-		$<
+exec_cmd.o: ALL_CFLAGS += \
+	'-DGIT_EXEC_PATH="$(gitexecdir_SQ)"' \
+	'-DBINDIR="$(bindir_relative_SQ)"' \
+	'-DPREFIX="$(prefix_SQ)"'
 
-builtin-init-db.o: builtin-init-db.c GIT-CFLAGS
-	$(QUIET_CC)$(CC) -o $*.o -c $(ALL_CFLAGS) -DDEFAULT_GIT_TEMPLATE_DIR='"$(template_dir_SQ)"' $<
+builtin-init-db.o: ALL_CFLAGS += \
+	-DDEFAULT_GIT_TEMPLATE_DIR='"$(template_dir_SQ)"'
 
-config.o: config.c GIT-CFLAGS
-	$(QUIET_CC)$(CC) -o $*.o -c $(ALL_CFLAGS) -DETC_GITCONFIG='"$(ETC_GITCONFIG_SQ)"' $<
+config.o: ALL_CFLAGS += -DETC_GITCONFIG='"$(ETC_GITCONFIG_SQ)"'
 
-http.o: http.c GIT-CFLAGS
-	$(QUIET_CC)$(CC) -o $*.o -c $(ALL_CFLAGS) -DGIT_USER_AGENT='"git/$(GIT_VERSION)"' $<
+http.o: ALL_CFLAGS += -DGIT_USER_AGENT='"git/$(GIT_VERSION)"'
 
 ifdef NO_EXPAT
-http-walker.o: http-walker.c http.h GIT-CFLAGS
-	$(QUIET_CC)$(CC) -o $*.o -c $(ALL_CFLAGS) -DNO_EXPAT $<
+http-walker.o: http.h
+http-walker.o: ALL_CFLAGS += -DNO_EXPAT
 endif
 
 git-%$X: %.o $(GITLIBS)
-- 
1.6.6.rc2