Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/4] Documentation/git-merge: reword references to "remote" and "pull"

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:24:45 +0100

Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Thomas Rast wrote:
> >   * Look at the diffs.  'git diff' will show a three-way diff,
> > -   highlighting changes from both the HEAD and remote versions.
> > +   highlighting changes from both the HEAD and their versions.
> >  
> >   * Look at the diffs on their own. 'git log --merge -p <path>'
> 
> This is a bit awkward, since 'they' is playing two roles.  Also,
> the context does not make it obvious what 'our' and 'their'
> versions are.
> 
> Maybe:
> 
> |   * Look at the diffs.  'git diff' will show a three-way diff,
> |     highlighting changes from both the HEAD and MERGE_HEAD
> |     versions.

I like this idea, as it nicely assigns terminology to the "their"
side.  We need to explain MERGE_HEAD (it's not in the manpage yet),
but that should fit in somewhere.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch