Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/6] Documentation: emphasize when git merge terminates early

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:11:33 +0100

Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> +In some other version control systems, you merge/update and then
> +commit, with the risk of clobbering your changes with humongous
> +conflicts. You shouldn't be pulling or merging if you haven't got
> +your own work into good shape and committed it locally (see also
> +linkgit:git-stash[1]).

Isn't it wrong to talk about other VCS, especially when writing down
what Git does *not*?  The user wants to know what git *does*,
otherwise he wouldn't be looking in the manual.

> +If all named commits are already ancestors of `HEAD`, 'git merge'
> +will exit early with the message "Already up-to-date."

<aside>
I suspect this is little-known but the equivalent message for an
octopus is actually: "Already up-to-date. Yeeah!"
</aside>

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch